Entombing Tomorrow's Pearls: Today Must Answer

Photo Credit: Ghanaian standard 


I want to play drums in resting ears. Yes, if that is what it means to wake you up to question those who must respond to our questions. 

What am I drumming at?

It's another day in the West of other the center of the world. Here, people are running around and chasing various goals. But it's another day and the talking parrots have delivered a message; one that has kept me on the edge, even as I write. Am I angry?  Maybe that, and shame. Because, I see many errors we are making today and tomorrow's pearls buried. My question is, yesterday was a better leader because today is hopeful and can grow on a better foundation; Why are we burying tomorrow's hope?

Not Enough:
What Do I hear?

The talking parrots brought another bad block to many already wrong moves. They are saying that children (tomorrows hope) do not only have access to quality education; what they are saying is that, children are getting lost as they journey across small towns, rivers and bushes to schools. Particularly now, the stories have it that another nine pupils drowned in a river they cross on their journey back from school. 

As I continue penning, I ask WHY?

Are the routes to their schools unfamiliar to them? What are the means of getting to their schools far away from home? Who cares about the many faces of the challenge? And Nine children just today? Can we quantify the depths of talents we ignorantly bury in actions and inactions? 

So here is what stories mean: 

- There is something wrong with our Prioritization: Where are we investing national resources? Not building a better future? Not in developing human resource who would spear tomorrow's growth? Are the managers of our collective resources concerned about putting in more into building a better tomorrow? I have seen two types of leaders: one group that aims at building better tomorrow (the Future) and one other group that wants to amass wealth for themselves and relations and put some resources into where they choose. 

As a people, we stand to be blamed too. Yes, we will be blamed for not asking the right questions, not demanding accountability for the people who manage our collective resources, choosing to take whatever we are offered and not showing our displeasure when we period of decision comes after every four years. Who is affected? Us, our future and sometimes, our very lives. Are we also going to ignore? Until when? Do we think about tomorrow (our own children's development)?

What do I want to Say?

I want to drum loud and very loud. 

Managers of national resources, take note, we are worried about where your priorities are. The world is advancing in various areas and yet education is at the center of great innovations.  Yes, I know, I do know that decades ago when I was taught ICT and Chemistry in textbooks and was quizzed to name parts of a computer and name scientific apparatus  during examinations persist. I am worried that in the current global century, here at home, access to basic school education is yet the reserve of the lucky few.

We can see like you can, the states of most of our educational infrastructure; which are even poorer in rural communities- for those who have schools at all. I ask you managers, do have your ears to the ground? Can you place a better price on the education for tomorrow's successors? 


This is call from the Past, the Present and the Future, develop tomorrow's pearls. 

Do Better, They Say.

Comments