One More Excuse : Red Flags of Growth

 




There come days when one feels unmotivated about the very goals they had set before them weeks back.

The switch from days of pursuit to days of excuses could be an unnoticed turn. It can be as small as getting stuck with an assignment or receiving an ill comment for a task you genuinely put in your all. The outcomes become routine and demotivating to go out to try more arduous tasks- those that will set them apart.

I have been there

Too often, I have been so scared of failing or getting it all wrong, And sometimes, I hate to appear 'not smart enough.' Don't get me wrong, I did my best at this task but the feedback from observers seemed to suggest that I just woke up and put something together to present. 'Do they even get it? I do not know this very well. Do they even know that I spent nights online searching and learning about this new task and how others have solved this puzzle?". 

I became unmotivated for days to get back to a project I had begun with so much joy to support my organization's foundation. During the weekly updates with my supervisors, I presented the progress I had made over the past five days and where I needed help. At the end of these presentations of the hard work I had put in  for the past week, the responses I received kept being, 'you have to work more one some areas' and other times, you simply have to rework everything.' Days turned into weeks and a couple of months went by and I started developing less enthusiasm for not just this project but my role. I preferred to be excused to work on other objectives than anything I did initially. I left the former half-baked work and off, I went to learn something new. I kept giving myself more excuses to stay away from going back to complete the project or open up to discuss with my supervisor how I felt about the project this time.

I realized that it takes something beyond the applauds of observers and supervisors to stay on track and keep the motivation up. It takes backend view in your mind about what you get to learn from this task, the thought of solving a problem, the knowledge of adding to your experience, or the goal of growth.

You have to do the biggest parts alone

To be motivated one time is easy but to stay motivated through the details is real work. Let me share how I am recovering from Procrastination (the act of adding one more excuse to work on something):

  • Pause! Assess:  Ask yourself these questions and on your notepad, answer them. Leave no question unanswered. Why do I have to put myself through this in the first place? What am I seeking to achieve? How would I feel when I have been able to beat this to the latter? But also What is missing from the puzzle to a good completion? What help do I need? How much will I learn at the end of this? This exercise is healing. Keep asking and write the answers down. 

  • Fill in the gaps: I remember this was one of my favorite exercises in primary school. I always got excited at fill-in questions. Now fill in the gaps. Identify what exactly you do not get about this work. Note what and where you will need an extra hand or expertise. Me, I realized I simply did not understand fully the language of the software I was using; I was a beginner, and I needed someone to guide me to add advanced features to the work.

  • Seek help: Hear me, people already know you need help. Don't keep silent and deal with it mentally, the answer is not all in you. You will get exhausted forcing yourself to start and finish alone. Even in final examinations, you can approach others to support you to understand a lot before you go out there and do the easiest part of writing your understanding. Approach your supervisors and ask to be helped. Be clear about what and where exactly. 

  • Now with the help, Reapproach the task with the goal to finish: Ask all the questions and keep the 'invigilator' updated. Keep sharing what has worked, what's pending, and when you suppose to complete it. Simply kill the silence factor and fearlessly approach every bit of the work and sometimes, do not wait for the right time to update them. Keep your supervisors updated throughout. This way, you share the burden of assessment with them right from the onset.

  • Take the Responses as opinions to improve: The responses from observers or supervisors are truly opinions, they can be a professional, expert, or none. Accept and filter. Enter each meeting with the learners' attitude to pick from their perspectives and opinions, they are entitled to them. Be smart to use their opinions to become better, including the harsh ones. Remember "the harshest words you'd ever hear will be those you say to yourself"- Veronica Agyiri

  • Set the Red Flags in their right positions: Note the very thoughts, words, or actions that dim your motivation to work to the latter. Remember all these can be generated internally also. It could be self-generated or external. But watch out for them and how hard they hit you when they do. Set remedies to correct these red flags, these could be articles, books, videos, meditations or even a chat with those who would help you dust off and set out to try again. Watch out! The people you talk to could add fuel to the flame you are quenching.
Doing away with excuses does not come easily to us all. Yet we know that time is never our friend, it leaves us when we thought we are close to it. Wake up, dust yourself up, and try one more time. Whiles at it, keep growth in the front mirror. 'Excuse your excuses'. Remember Time is double faced- friend and a foe. 

Until we are at the finishing line, any stop is a short pause. Get back at it, you can! If you think you can't, learn from failure!


Piece by my good friend





Comments